Monday, March 26, 2001

Haleakala, Holua, Waikau cabin site

Date:   Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:06:26 -1000
From: nota yahoo <notayahoo50@hotmail.com>
Subject: Waikau overnight

After hiking down the Halemauu trail I turned left on the unmaintained trail
that leads across Koolau gap to the old Waikau cabin site and up to re-join
the Halemauu trail near Bottomless Pit. This trail makes lots of twists and
turns through the very rough lava fields.

With the normal situation of hiking in the clouds it is very easy to lose
your sense of direction and even to lose the trail. One area was covered by
what looked like a lichen(?) forest. All the lava was covered by the gray
stuff, which was from one to three inches high, and occasionally green. I
was looking for some large pine trees I was told were at the cabin site but
found they had been blown down long ago.

As I set up my tent it began to rain lightly, after I was all set it rained
more heavily and began to get dark. I was snug in my tent, having put on dry
longjohns and enjoyed my dinner. Later that night I had to go out despite
the cold and the prospect of putting on wet shoes. I was rewarded with a
clear night sky and as I gazed at the beauty of the stars I momentarily
forgot that I was standing in freezing cold weather with wet freesing cold
shoes on.

In the morning I was not able to light my Esbit fuel tab. I had left it out
all night and it seemed to have absorbed moisture and frozen, also my
lighter ran out of fuel. So I decided to pack up, hike awile and have a cold
breakfast. The puddles around my tent from the rain at night was frozen and
the tent floor had to be broken free, this required my hands to be re-warmed
a couple of times as I folded up the tent.

Again the trail was unmaintained but now the sky was clear with the lava
formations looking like castles & other impressive structures against the
back drop of the early morning lighted walls of Haleakala Crater.

At Mamane hill I stopped to dry out my gear & eat breakfast, just relaxing
in the quite & solitude. Once back on the main trail I exchanged good
mornings with hikers headed in to the crater.

At Holua I had a snack and while trying to enjoy the quiet I was diturbed by
some loud yahooing in the distance. Since I was annoyed I decided that this
is where the derogatory term Yahoos came from. I then decided not to be
annoyed, that these Yahoos were just expressing their appreciation for the
beauty of the wilderness.

I then proceeded up the old switchback trail. This was a first for me and a
good work out. The bottom portion is completly wiped out so it is a straigt
up affair. The switchback portion is littered with large rocks and goes up
at at a good angle almost all the way to the parking lot. I tryed to
memorize the junction so I can take it down next time.

This was a great short trip and I look forward to some longer explorations
of this area.

Wahiawa to Lualualei via Kolekole Pass

Today (4 Aug 2001), accompanied by several hundred folks, including the J&J girls (Jackie and Jamie), I completed a 13.1-mile "hike...