Saturday, May 19, 2001

Olomana 1st peak makai

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 18:51:32 -1000
From: Stan Yamada <stanboy50@hotmail.com>
To: turner@hawaii.edu
Subject: Olomana Makai

Howzit: I was surfin the other day and stumbled over your OHE site and
signed up. Imagine my chagrin when I come across your story of Olomana
Makai. I believe it was my trail blazing efforts you found on OM. I used
to mountain bike regularly there as I live in Enchanted Lake. My son and I
like to hike a bike up the ridge lines and zoom down. One day in late '99 I
took the ride up that government road I had been eyeing on the topo map and
found the remnants of an old ridge trail. Sensing a possible new route, I
took the plunge and attempted to clear a path up the ridge. Very hard with
a bike in tow and no machete. I got to where the trail drops down before
the fern forest area. I gave up as I was getting ripped to shreds at that
point. Never returned, until I read your story. I went up there today
armed with my hiking and trail clearing gear, just in case. I wasn't going
to be denied this time!

As stated in your tale, I went up the Kaneohe end of Old Kalanianaole Road
just past the Girls' Home. After the first hill the road dips and the
government road (really a driveway) begins on the right on the other side of
someone's garage. Up the steep and overgrown drive to a former building
site. A lonely slab is all that remains of some former state facility I
presume. Just mauka of the slab a hidden jeep trail is revealed. Left up
the hill and the fun begins. Immediately unsheathed my trusty blade and
began wailing at the chest high Cal grass. After a short climb I reached
the ridge trail and proceeded mauka.

There I discovered a very nice trail going up the hill. Thank you to your
cohorts or whomever paved the way. It certainly wasn't that nice when I
left it! I used the machete a few times on the way up to clear away the
usual detritus. On the way up I found my personal Holy Grail; a lateral
passage contouring my beloved Olomana heading East. Yes!! I've been
wanting to link trails for an Olomana circumnavigation for many years, but
never did it. I will try again at a later date. If you don't already know,
some rich person (supposedly the daughter of An Wang of word processing
fame) bought up most of the lower makai area of Olomana (mauka of the road)
and is using the local gendarmes to enforce a strict no trespassing policy.
I've been personally kicked out and warned twice. Neighbors spot people and
call the cops. They allege that bicycles cause erosion and messes up
Kaelepulu Pond. The rich just want to keep the riff raff out. They have
quite an enclave there now. Guess what? The horses cause a lot more, but I
digress.

Went up and got to the rock face and found the ribbons pointing the way left
and around to the saddle between peaks 1 and 2. Very nice. Got to the top
without mishap. No one there. I had the whole mountain to myself near noon
on a beautiful Saturday. What's up with that? Of course, peaks 2 and 3
were calling and I answered. The ropes were still there and in OK shape.
Got to 2 no problem and rested. Two helicopters flew by and we exchanged
waves. "Look honey, a Hawaiian on top of that skinny hill." "Well dear, he
looks Japanese to me."

Conditions were ideal. Cool, not cold. Breezy, not windy. High overcast.
I enjoyed myself and wen hele on to peak 3. Had a slight problem on one of
the steep faces, but luckily I've been getting into rock climbing and
bouldering lately. As I clung to the rock face about four feet above the
very narrow trail below and a chasm on the other side, I reeled through my
mental database of how to solve the particular problem I faced. Suddenly it
dawned on me. I had two good foot placements and I was in a crouched
position (my hand holds were very sketchy). Stand up silly. I extended
both legs and suddenly new and solid hand holds appeared like magic. I'm
glad I'm not the panicky type, just a little stupid is all. Having overcome
that dilemma, I attacked the remaining rock faces with enthusiasm. Atop 3 I
rewarded myself with a PBJ sandwich which was suitably squashed for easier
on trail digestion. Some water and gorp and the descent down the Makapuu
face was next up.

The cables/ropes were OK until I reached one that was missing. No problem,
I got rope. I used a short loop I had previously prepared and strung that
through the bolt someone had left. I strung my rope through the loop to
double it up and dropped the two ends down the chute about twenty feet. I
probably could have negotiated the spot without the rope, but why not,
that's why I carry it. Having completed the drop I simply pulled one end of
the rope and got it back, leaving my loop for the next adventurer. I carry
carabiners, but didn't need it this time. Better safe than sorry is my
motto.

I almost took the last dive when a branch broke and I slid a few feet down a
wash directly above the proverbial precipice. I luckily saved my own life
and heard the sound of some girl screaming like an idiot. Women. No one
was around though so I don't know where that girly scream came from. After
a few minutes of rest I resumed my descent on a narrow ridgeline trail. I
was just here last week when I took my bike up from the Maunawili side Gov't
Rd. Just past two fence posts, one metal and one wood, I took the left down
the hill heading makai. The trail is ribboned (orange). I took my two
youngest kids (then 8 and 13) up that way a year ago and the trail is in
really good shape. Thanks again to Mr. Orange ribbon. Proceeded down,
down, down on a nice trail listening to loud, live Hawaiian music wafting
from Waimanalo below and to the right. Couldn't see any party down there
though.

Once near the bottom, my next quest, a LEGAL entry to this spot. Having
studied the tax maps of this entire area, I deduced that Ms. Wang (actually
the official maps on the State website says that a Waimanalo Corp. owns it)
owns the land from just East of the Waimanalo exit of the Old Kalani Rd.
Then the State owns a parcel, then the stables own the next lot. Therefore,
if I could find the entrance to the State lot I could sidestep the Wang
estate.

Being very familiar with this area, I nosed my way East toward the stables
following the many dirt horse paths down to a gated entrance to the stable.
No Trespassing signs indicated that I had reached the stable land. With the
highway right there, I knew that the State land was to my immediate left.
What the heck, it's fenced with barbed wire! I hopped it and found a trail
next to the fence. Two large horses watched as I invaded their (or the
State's) homestead. They weren't aggressive and let me be. I found a
culvert going under the fence and crawled through. I found myself next to
the speed limit sign on the Waimanalo side of the Waimanalo sign just past
the Old Kalani Hwy exit.

All 100 ounces of water gone from my pack, I just made it home in time to
relax and down a couple of Advils. I had dilly dallied and enjoyed the
views so much that it took me over 5 hours to do it. All in all, a good day
in Hawaii. Tomorrow, mountain biking down Waahila!!

sky 5/19/01

Wahiawa to Lualualei via Kolekole Pass

Today (4 Aug 2001), accompanied by several hundred folks, including the J&J girls (Jackie and Jamie), I completed a 13.1-mile "hike...